Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Why we ask questions while reading



Questions help a reader clarify ideas and deepen understanding.

them-young children are master questioners. Why are there clouds?
Do fish sleep? Why is the sky blue?

Wonder keeps the imagination alive and curiosity well-tuned.

Asking questions is how you make sense of the world.

Questions lead you to new ideas, new perspectives, and additional questions.

Encourage your child to ask questions as he read is part of a larger task:

inspiring wonder.

Questions send readers on quests. They cause readers to seek, pursue and search for answers or deeper understanding.

Questions keep you turning the pages to find out what happens next.

The above questions were taken for the link below:
http://helloliteracy.weebly.com/uploads/2/1/6/0/2160537/parent_school-questioning.pdf

What questions do you ask your budding reader?
In their quest to make sense of their world, they bombard those around

4 comments:

  1. I ask my son what words he didn't understand. Then I have him read the sentance again and maybe the sentance following so that he can gather the meaning from what he is reading. I also ask him what happened first, second and last. To see if he is following along in sequence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats sound great. When my daughter and I come across a word she doen't understand while reading she is supposed "chunk" the word. That is today's term for sounding it out. I ask my reader questions such as why do you think he/she did such and such. My reader has an excellent memory and will easily repeat the book back to me. thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Before we read the story we take a picture walk of each page and make predictions. Then I may read the story or the children will read along depending on the level of the book. During the story I will ask questions about what I have read. This gives the children oportunities to voice their opinoins. Sometimes they are able to answer with good replies other times its something from left field (LOL). Gotta love the children for trying!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of asking questions about what I have read. Do you think this will work if I let my reader use an audio book?

      Delete